The 2020 real estate market is heating back up, and more homes are being listed nationwide. According to a recent study by home improvement website Fixr, open floor plans, smart homes and outdoor areas are among the hot features in highest demand for homebuyers this year. The Fixr study — entitled “Single-Family Home Construction and Remodeling Trends 2020” — revealed some other popular trends that real estate professionals should be sure to highlight in home listings. Those trends were as follows:
- Open-floor plans and two-story homes were the top layout choices of respondents. Ninety percent of respondents said they prefer open-floor plans, while 77% preferred two-story homes. As families have been forced to spend more time at home because of the COVID-19 pandemic, large and open common areas have become higher priority to buyers.
- Smart home features — including smart thermostats, security cameras and smart outlets — are important to homebuyers in 2020.
- Homeowners looking to age in the home they are purchasing crave accessibility modifications or at least a space fit for modifications that would allow them to age more comfortably.
- As many Americans are dealing with economic uncertainty, energy efficient homes that will lower power bills and energy usage are becoming more attractive than conventional properties.
- Outdoor kitchens, recreation-oriented yards and outdoor gathering places are popular among young families seeking family activities conducive to social distancing.
- Sixty-two percent of survey respondents chose contemporary and modern building styles. The next most popular building style was ranch, but only 22% of respondents picked it.
To learn more about the study results, click here.Tags: Homebuying